Tuesday, February 14, 2006

High Maintenanceor low?

A young man recently told me how frustrating Valentine's day was to him. It didn't matter what he did for his girlfriend--a card, candy, flowers, a homecooked dinner, it was never enough. Needless to say, the lady in question is now an exgirlfriend.
I started to think about high or low maintenance relationships. I did a quick and very informal survey at school--most of the women considered themselves to be low maintance. One said that her valentine gift was a new car seat. Others said that they had told their husbands not to waste the money. But I did notice that there were several bouquets delivered to work today.
So why do some women need all the stuff--flowers, especially delivered at work? Candy, gifts? Why do others need or want nothing?
My own sweetie asked me last week if it was ok for him to go out of town on a business trip on valentines day. I told him to go ahead. Does that make me low maintance? I feel quite secure about our relationship. I don't need candy, flowers die, and a nice dinner can be had this weekend. I know that he loves me because he got tickets to the opera--something in which he hasn't shown much interest. If he is willing to spend almost four hours watching an opera in a foreign language, just because I want to see it, makes me feel very loved.
So am I really low maintence, or am I high?
My husband cooks every night, he does a lot of things around the house, he had been very helpful to my mother. He doesn't spend a lot of money on things. Valentines day isn't a big deal to him, but his birthday is huge.
So, maintaining a relationship really can't be catagorized as high or low. I guess that what works is keeping a balance--then everyone is happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home