Sunday, August 24, 2008

All Growed Up

When does your child become an adult? Is it when they turn 18 or 21? Or is it when they go away to college? When they graduate college? When they earn an advanced degree? At the time, I though that all of these milestones were the beginning of my son's adulthood. Now I know better. Yes, these are very important milestones in a persons life, but during this time, I was paying most of his bills.
Saturday, he moved to Houston. Not to go to school, but to live and work there. In a few days, I hope, he will have a place to live and can start working on making a living. Making a living as a musician isn't easy, but he is convinced that he can do it without working a Starbucks. I think that hard reality has hit him--he was quite anxious during the 2 1/2 days he spent with us at home.
As I look back, I was in the same situation. I had just finished by Master's degree, and decided to relocate back to Chicago from Boston. I had an apartment, but no job. I signed up to substitute in two school districts, and I did manage to support myself by substitute teaching. However, I did have a second job at Marshall Field's. I never considered that I was taking a risk, but my parents must have been worried.
So, the conclusion. My son is all growed up.
On another front--the first day of school for me is tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home