Saturday, January 10, 2009

My love-hate relationship with Madame Butterfly




First the love. Last night I went to see Puccini's opera, Madame Butterfly at Chicago's Lyric Opera. This was a super production, starring Patricia Racette as Butterfly and Frank Lapardo as Pinkerton, with Sir Andrew Davis conducting. The story is timeless, being rewritten as a muscial few years ago-- Miss Saigon.
Now, I love the music. It is beautiful, and when sung by singing actors, it becomes spectacular. Added to that, a beautiful set and an excellent supporting cast, makes for a wonderful evening.
Now for the hate. I haven't seen Butterfly for about 30 years. It never was one of my favorites. My problem with this verismo opera is that some of the characters, especially Pinkerton are despicable people. Butterfly, a 15 year old girl, is "married" to a US naval officer (Pinkerton) who is spending a few months in Japan. To him it is a temporary dalliance; to her, it is an earth shattering love. Of course, she has a baby with him, born after he leaves town. She waits for him to come back, and when he finally does, 3 years later, it is with his wife. He is so spineless that he doesn't even see her--letting his wife do the dirty job of explaining the situation to Butterfly's companion and servant. The opera ends tragically, the baby leaves with Pinkerton and his wife--probably to face a life of ostracism and racial discrimination in the US.
I know that it is just a story--but it makes me angry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home