Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My New Job--back to school again.

I am starting a new job soon. Last night I went to the new faculty orientation at Oakton Community College. I will be teaching reading and study skills, the same subjects that I have been teaching since I retired from District 65.
I am impressed by several things: first, seeing the new faculty, the staff at Oakton is remarkably diverse in age, race and experience. Second, the meeting wasn't a lot different from meetings at Nichols. There are a lot of proceedural things to do wherever a person works.
I am a little bit overwhelmed by having to produce a syllabus. I have done this before, but not for the entire course. And--it is a legal document. I am being held accountable, by the students, for what I plan to teach. This is a huge difference from my previous life as a teacher.
The most interesting thing is that when I tell anybody that I will be teaching at the community college, they are impressed. Why does college teaching command more respect than teaching in elementary or middle school? Especially when I am teaching exactly the same thing.
I have read the textbook and I have studied all the material from last night's meeting. I have a meeting tonight and another two meetings tomorrow. At least we are paid for attending. So now I will get back to the syllabus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home