Thursday, July 06, 2006

Beautiful, beautiful weather

We are having some of the most beautiful weather this July. Usually it is hot and humid, and the air conditioning is going full time. Other parts of the country are having horrid weather, hot in Arizona, stormy in New England. Here is in the high 70's or low 80's with little or no humidity. At night, I have even had to use a light blanket. It is sunny, the sky is a beautful blue with a few clouds. I have to be careful to use sunscreen, otherwise a red nose. I took my lovely dog, Alma, for a walk to the Lake today, there was a spring in her step, instead of a slow drag, which is her usual in hot, humid weather. I am planning to enjoy it, because hotter temperatures are coming for the weekend. I am waiting for my annuals to get going--they are still fairly small.
Alma and I walked through Kenilworth, which is enduring a spell of teardowns. Kenilworth is a beautiful town with older houses of many mixed styles. Most of the houses are large and built on large lots. Now the average selling price for a house in Kenilworth is over $1 million. Developers are paying these prices and tearing down perfectly good houses and replacing them with small palaces either in English or French revival styles. These new places sell for over $2 million. The people who live there are not happy, and they protest and put up signs, but the teardowns continue.
I have been driving my brother around since he had rotator cuff surgery. He can't drive for two more weeks. Today he went to physical therapy, and was happy with the report. The pre-op therapy has paid off and his range of motion is good. I don't mind driving him, but I know that he really wants to get back to his normal life. We went for lunch today and I saw three people that I haven't seen for at least 2 years. It was nice to chat with them. One, the parent of one of my son's elementary school friends, told me that her son has a sucessful musical instrument repair business and has published several articles! Way to go. The other has a daughter who is a cellist freelancing in NYC. She is doing well enough to be able to buy a condo there. I love to hear about young sucessful musicians. The third person, a teacher from the very early days, told me that she has a rare disease, and is learning to walk again. She was in good spirits and has a positive attitude. She was also on her way to physical therapy.
So goes a typical summer day for a lady of leisure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home