Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I'm Glad I never majored in Botany

Today I went to the Chicago Botanic Garden for a Master Gardener education class. As a master gardner, I have to take 10 hours of continuing education every year. So, I signed up for a class in prairie plant identification. Since I give a children's class on the prairie, this was perfect for me. Actually, it was quite interesting. There are different types of plants in different types of prairies, but most of them are remarkably similar in looks. Sometimes it is only a matter of size, sometimes it is flower shape, or type. Sometimes it is the pattern of the leaves on the stem. It was confusing, since the instructor refered to them by their botanic and common names interchangeably. If I worked there, it would be easy. But it was a beautiful day, quite warm, and the gardens were beautiful, as was the prairie. So I enjoyed myself.
I might have nightmares about identifying all the plants. But for the children, general categories of plants is just fine. Goldenrod, or solidago, has many manifestations. There are many members of the silphium family. The important ones for the children and me are prairie dock and the compass plant since the pioneers used them as they crossed the United States to settle the west.
Check out the Botanic Garden link to learn more about prairie plants.
On another subject--I finished the syllabus for my class. I am so happy. Now I can start working on my lessons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home