Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thinking about things

Since my last post, I have been thinking about starting out in life. As you can tell, I am very concerned about my son making a living and paying his bills. He has a wonderful education, great musical skills and talents, but no money.
In the brashness of youth, I was in the same situation. My parents must have thought I was nuts to rent an apartment with no income--and when I finally started to earn one, it was sporadic, since I was a day to day substitute. I had no health insurance--and wasn't very concerned about it. I was so optimistic that I opened a few charge accounts, just to make sure that I could stay up with the latest fashion. I spent time and money decorating my apartment. I was so thrilled to be on my own that I forgot to worry.
Maybe I did worry, but I don't recall being concerned at all. My biggest issues were having a good time, going out, making new friends, having a date on Sat. night and so on. At that time, I didn't even take my job very seriously.
Looking at my son's situation through a filter of 40 years of experience, I see so many possible pitfalls. I worry a lot.
At one time I thought that my worst day would come when he got his drivers' license. But when that day came, I was happy because I wouldn't have to drive him around any more. He is a good driver--and has logged my many more driving miles than I had at his age.
So. I should lighten up. But I still worry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home