Monday, November 24, 2008

Exorbitant

One of this week's vocabulary words is exorbitant. Now I usually have a short discussion about some of the words with the class, but this word prompted me to give a few examples. My subject was designer handbags. At one time--and I mean fairly recently--a designer handbag could be had for $200. Now that is considered a medium to low price. Very few designer handbags sell for under $400. I mentioned that most of them are now priced over $1000, and many sell for much more than that. This is what I mean by exorbitant. A handbag is just that--a bag in which to haul your personal stuff around. Leather is preferable, but not necessary. Style is nice, but not required. What is the difference between a bag that sells for $400 and one that sells for $1400? Since the really expensive ones are behind the counter, it is sometimes difficult to find out firsthand. So my question is-- is that difference between expensive and exorbitant?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home