Tuesday, February 17, 2009

repetition works

Sometimes I think that my students get sick of my repeating the same thing over and over again. For instance--how do you find the topic of a paragraph? or How do you find the main idea of a paragraph?
Well the answer is that repetition is one of the foundations of pedagogy. Today they call it revisit or review. Another reason I repeat is that sometimes my students don't get the concept the first--or second time I go over it.
One thing I remember well is the Suzuki Method of teaching music. Repetition plays a huge part in this style of musical instruction. Two quick sayings from Suzuki--

"Dr Suzuki says never be lazy
Practice and Practice until you go crazy"

"If you really want to learn something, repeat it one thousand times."

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

My mother, also a Suzuki Mom, enjoyed this particular saying of Dr. Suzuki's while I was growing up:

"Practice only on the days that you eat."

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home