Eight Things the US Government Does Well
So, in no particular order:
1. Medicare: The government does a good job of providing health care to seniors. If they can afford a supplement, it it about as good as you can get. I know this from the experience of my parents.
2. The Veterans Administration: This organization provided many services to Veterans, including free medical care.
3. The Armed Services: I feel safe at night--and during the day. This department does a good job.
4. Higher Education: This is service provided by the States. Excellent education is provided to just about anyone who wants to take advantage of it for a very reasonable cost.
4. The National Parks System: Even though budgets have been slashed, The National Parks, Historical Sites and Museums provide some of the best value for the vacation dollar. Beautiful scenery, reasonable admission fees, and excellent background information is provided for anyone who wants it. I've been to many of these places in many states. I've never been disappointed.
5. The Interstate Highway System: Can you imagine driving coast to coast on two lane highways? I remember driving from Illinois to the east coast before most of the interstate highway system was built. It was all two lane highways, slow and dangerous. Today you can drive from just about any city to another quickly--and be able to stop at rest areas too.
6. The Federal and State Court System: On every level, people get their day in court. They may not like the outcome, but they have the opportunity to have their issues heard.
7. The US Treasury: This department prints the money and casts the coins. Nobody anywhere in the world questions the value of our currency.
8. The Internal Revenue Service: Most of us despise this organization, but no one can dispute the fact that they get their money from most of us very efficiently.
So just start thinking--do you really believe that your government is so incompetent that it can't provide services to its citizens for a reasonable cost?