Saturday, March 24, 2007

Good Bye to an Old Friend

Yesterday I said good bye to my friend Vicky. She is moving to Lansing MI to attend law school and be closer to her family. She is happy and sad about moving away from Illinois, since she has lived here for most of her life. We only saw her occasionally since we retired in 2004, but we still had a bond since we had worked together for so long. We had lunch together yesterday, and I am so sorry that I didn't bring my camera so I could take her picture.
She and I worked together since the 1980's at Nichols, and we saw each other and ate lunch together almost every day for years. We worked on two teams together, she taught language arts and reading, and was willing to team up on projects etc as well as working together to deal with kids. She was a good work friend.
Now is there a difference between work friends and outside of work friends? When Vicky and I worked together, we talked every day. Her classroom was next door, and I really missed her when she retired, a few months before I did. After she left, I didn't see her often or talk to her much. I have other work friends that I see much more often, but I didn't have as close a relationship at work with them as I had with Vicky. This is a conundrum. (One of the vocabulary words from my class) So, I really don't have an answer to this at all. Even after giving it some thought, I still don't have an answer. I guess that work friends are work friends, and other friends are your real friends. Something to continue to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home