Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Something for the birds

Those little creatures are so fussy. I do like to please the, so they hang around in my back yard. I now use two kinds of seed and several types of feeders. For the past few years, all I have provided for them was black oiler sunflower seeds. This year, for some reason, there have been very few cardinals, the big consumers of the sunflower seeds. I have seen mosly sparrows and juncos, and they seem to eat anything.
A few weeks ago, when the hardware store didn't have the 40 pound bag of sunflower seeds, I bought a new --to me--blend called "no waste." Now I notice that the feeders with "no waste" are going down much faster that those with sunflowers seeds. I brought out the tray feeder, which caters to cardinals and filled it with sunflower seeds. Then, I decided to rearrange all my feeders, and add a new one. I also bought a new blend of birdseed, which is still in the trunk of my car.
Another problem with feeders is squirrels. You want to feed the birds, not them, so all kinds of deterrents are available to keep them off the feeders. Actually, I don't mind them as much as I did in the past. The pests du jour in my yard are rabbits, who eat my plants. So, the new feeder is like a round cage, with the feeder inside. It will only accommodate small birds--not squirrels. So now every time I hear chirping in the back yard, I run to the window to see if any birds are dining. So far, nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home