Sunday, March 16, 2008

Opera Review

The performance of Eugine Onegin was wonderful! Everything worked so well--a good story, good music, well staged with good singing and acting. The libretto, based on a poem by Pushkin, is believable, unlike most opera plots. The characters behave like real people and the story made sense to me. Eugene Onegnin is a despicable person, he kills his best friend in a duel in the 2nd act, and in the end, loses the girl--which he deserved. I liked the sets, which were very minimal and depended on effective lighting. The one thing that wasn't minimal were the costumes. That made the staging more believe able. So, this was a performance that I really enjoyed. The libretto was translated and projected on the proscenium. I think this is the one thing that has made attending opera more interesting for me. In the 1970's when I had a subscription, many times the operas were boring, and my attention wandered. Maybe since I am older, I really appreciated the performance so much more.
My lesson plans for next week are completed, I am ready for my new class. I accomplished everything on my "to do" list for my week off.
Weather wise--this weekend isn't spring, but it isn't winter either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home