Saturday, May 17, 2008

A lot of volunteering going on

This week--3 days at the Botanic Garden--2 in science sleuths, which are children's field trips and one at the plant sale.
People must have thought I was a wacko--while I was waiting for a group of students to come to my station--which was to study pond water and look for macro invertebrates, I studied the water myself, looking for bugs and other creatures to stock their containers of pond water. This involved staring at a tub of dirty water, complete with decaying leaves and other vegetation. After a while, the creatures make themselves known, and I swooped in with a spoon and moved them to a smaller tub. Actually, the kids just love this activity, and by the time they arrived, the water was warm and still enough for them to find lots of material.
The other day was in plant parts, which involves talking about the life cycle of a plant, and then looking around the fruit and vegetable island for examples of plant parts, which also entertains the students--and for me, changes every time I go to the garden.
The plant sale was so successful this year- it was about half sold out the first afternoon. I got a yellow apron, labeled plant expert--which was somewhat humorous to me--and got to answer questions about sun perennials--letters h to i (arranged by botanic names). This was mostly hibiscus, iris and day lillies. The sale was so busy, the weather was great, and I answered plenty of questions, and much to my surprise, I did know most of the answers. I also bought a few plants for myself. So today, I get to plant them--and the weather is great again--I'll be in the garden all day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home