Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Some pleasant surprises

Last night, I realized that I have only one more chapter to complete in both my text books. I can't remember when I actually completed a textbook in my entire teaching career. It is a bit exciting, and I feel a bit of freedom, in that I can present some additional material, spend some time reviewing before the exit test, and lighten up on the homework. I don't think that any of my students will mind that.
This morning, on the way home from the gym, I stopped in at Starbucks and a young man, who happened to be sweeping the floor, asked me if I had ever taught at Nichols Middle School. I told him that I did, and he turned out to be a former student from about 10+ years ago. A very bright former student, by the way. He is now is a period of career readjustment, and is working at Starbucks as he contemplates becoming an elementary school teacher. He left a career in politics as a fundraiser. More power to him. By taking a risk now, hopefully he won't be stuck in a cubicle working at a job he really doesn't love because he has to pay the mortgage etc.
I have been lucky--working at a job that for the most part, I enjoyed. I never said that I hated my job, as other people I know say often. Now that job has given me the wherewithal to work at a job that I really enjoy, teaching at a community college. I also the time to volunteer at the Botanic garden, and just to relax and hang around doing nothing. So, to my old student, I say, take your time and really think about what you want to do for the rest of your life. You won't be sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home