Sunday, April 13, 2008

What in the heck is TGA?

Are you wondering? Well, TGA was the diagnosis that landed me in the hospital last week. It stands for transient global amnesia. Amnesia is a staple plot in soap opera, but in real life it isn't as interesting. When I came home last Wednesday for meeting with a friend, I was confused. I have no memory of any of this, so I am just reiterating what my husband told me. The next thing that I remembered was lying in a bed in Evanston Hospital. I had no idea why I was there. It was disturbing, and I didn't find out what was going on until the next day when I began to recover. I still have no recollection of getting to the hospital, the emergency room, the CAT scan or anything also that night.
The good thing about this affliction is that is temporary, rarely happens again, and does not lead to something worse. There is no definite cause or treatment. The person knows who they are and doesn't lose all of their memory. Long term memory is not affected, only the short term. It rarely lasts more than 24 hours.
My husband thought I was having a stroke, so he took me to the emergency room. After a lot of tests, stroke and seizures were ruled out. The MRI showed nothing. So, I managed to get through this with very little consequence--I missed teaching 2 classes, and had to spend 3 days in the hospital.
The weird thing about the whole episode was that I drove home, remembered where I lived, but couldn't remember where the flowers I took out of the car came from!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

How bizarre! I'm so glad your long-term memory wasn't affected at all, though.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home