Sunday, March 12, 2006

Pippin at New Trier

I saw the New Trier High School production of Pippin on Friday.
For those of you who are not familiar with New Trier, it is the closest thing in this area to a performing arts school. It has a renowned music, theater and dance program. The band and orchestra program regularly win Grammy awards. I subbed in a dance class last fall and found out that New Trier employs a full time accompanist just for the dance classes.
I haven't been to any musicals since my son graduated, so this was a nice visit.
The production wass exceptionally well done. The lead, a young man named Stephen West is a very talented young man. He was on the stage for almost every scene, had to do a lot of dancing, has a good singing voice and can act. Productions at New Trier are very well done, the singing, the orchestra, the dancing--much more polished than most high school musicals.
Now about Pippin. This is a 70's muscial--and very light on plot. It seemed to me that it was trying to be the next Hair. It was anti-war, and the story was about finding one's self, and finding self fullfillment--both very 70's themes. There wasn't any tune that you could remember--everything musical was a little bit forgetable. There was no nude scene like in Hair, but there were a few scenes that I think were a little out there. I am sure glad that my daughter wasn't dancing on that stage. I really can say that this wasn't a very appropriate choice for a high school musical.
Today I went to the Botanic Garden for a short class on pruning. Nothing new was presented, so I was a little disappointed.
The ISAT tests begin tomorrow. I am changing hats from tutor to test administrator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home