Thursday, March 16, 2006

Politics

Next Tuesday is primary election day in Illinois. This election hasn't had a lot of interest, since we have an incumbent goveneror, and no other interesting races to speak of.

What is interesting to me is that one of my former student teachers is running for governor in the democratic primary. Edwin Eisendrath was my student teacher in 1981. It is weird to see his commericals on TV and his signs in the community. Edwin was getting a teaching certificate so he could teach in the Chicago schools. He was one of the brightest students I have worked with, but he didn't take student teaching very seriously. He did teach for a while, and then went on to other things. He has dabbled in politics in the past, running against Sidney Yates, who by the way was a great supporter of the arts, in a primary. Edwin didn't win, and he inspired a lot of resentment because he challenged a very established Congressman. I don't think that he has much of a chance to beat Blagojevich either. I plan to vote for Edwin, however, because Blago raided the teacher's pension fund. Blago is one of those politicians who start out looking great, but fail to do much of anything good once he is elected. Big talk, little or no real action. I just hate it when politicians promise all kinds of things, like universal preschool, and say that they will not raise any taxes. The solution--raid the pension funds again.
I rarely vote for Republicans, so Edwin gives me the chance to vote in the democratic primary, and not vote for Blago.

Another thing--one of my former students, Simon Ribiero is running for congress in the republican primary. Again, not a chance of defeating Jan Schakowsky in the general election. Simon's claim to fame is that his uncle is Alfonse D'Amato, former senator from NY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home