Friday, September 22, 2006

I am reinvented as a College Teacher

I began my new life as a college teacher on Tuesday. I can't say that it is much different from my old life as an junior high teacher. I have a class of 15 women of various ages, from just out of high school to the 30's. Several of them have families, all of them have jobs. They seem to be motivated to do well in this class, because they have to pass out of it in order to take something that is actually a graduation/major requirement. Several of them want to become nurses. Two of them work as CNAs in nursing homes, which is a hard, low paying job. Becoming a registered or practical nurse is a big step up the economic ladder. I had 5 students who didn't show up on Tuesday. Two of them came Thursday, one dropped. On the plus side, I had several who signed up on the day of class so I am still at 15, which is the limit. Students begging to get into a class is new to me. I said yes to all of them, but several of them didn't register. Thursday was my computer lab night, which was somewhat of a disaster. 5 students haven't bought the book yet since payday is still 2 weeks away. They couldn't sign on to the software. Several others had a lot of trouble signing on, which was surprising since I gave them a sheet with very specific directions and hovered over them. I now have to call an 800 number in order to straighten it out. I wrote up a detailed lesson plan and finished most of it. now I have to work on next week's plan.
On the other side of my life, I went to the Botanic Garden to do a Kitchen Botany program with 3rd graders. They attend McKenzie School, which was my son's elementary school. Were they ever filled with energy! Compared to the college students, who come to school after working all day, this is like teaching a group of jumping beans. They were interested in the program and were great participants. We walked over to the fruit and vegetable garden to see the plants in action. Most of them were excited to see vegetables and fruits in their natural state. They were also surprised to find that we eat all parts of plants, roots, stems, leaves, flowers, buds and bulbs. With that thought, I will sign off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home