Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Vacation from Hell

The trip to Mexico wasn't a sucess. It all started when I checked the travel sites and saw negative comments about the hotel. I just filed those away. Then I was hit with a $50 charge because my bag was overweight. Now the plane wasn't full, so they usually let it go. Not this time. Although the hotel was lovely, the decor was a little dated, but that's not a major problem. My husband got sick on Sunday with a high temp and diaherria. Then on Monday, we got a call from the nurse at my Mom's apartment that they were taking her to the emergency room. She was really seriously sick. By the next day, she was doing better, and the nurse in the ICU told us that we didn't have to rush back that day.
My husband , on the recommendation of another guest, got some medication from the concierge, which was quite effective. We made our arrangements to return to the USA on Wednesday. That morning, I didn't feel too good, but since I didn't know when I would see a meal, I decided to eat breakfast. By the time we got to the airport, I was nauseated, and spent several hours throwing up in the airport washroom. I had the chills and had to put on my winter jacket and sweater. Fortunately, the trip home was uneventful, and we arrived home safely. My mother is doing much better, but is still in the hospital. Neither of us feel great. I was so disgusted with the hotel, that I posted my story on 3 travel web sites. I have informed our travel agent. A woman read my comments and decided to cancel her Barcelo reservations and book another hotel. It really annoyed me that the hotel was so secretive and continued to have new guests check in. Personally, including ourselves, we knew of 6 people who were sick. It was rumored that there were at least 50. They didn't seem to be too concerned, and certainly didn't follow up with the people who were sick.
The real tragedy of this was that the hotel was on a beautiful site, the food was good, the service was good and Puerto Vallarta is an interesting town. I will put pictures on the blog in the next few days so you can see how nice it was.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Oh no! What a mess...

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home