Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Back Home

After a very fast weekend in Houston, I am back to some very bad weather. Our forecast is horrible--rain turning to snow, quickly plunging temps--over 40 degrees, blowing snow. I have to drive to work and teach tonight. I hope that some of my students show up.
The weekend in Houston was a lot of fun. My son's recital was spectacular, as one faculty member said, a very difficult and challenging program. My son played very well. The recital was well attended and well received. He played a piece that was written for him, and 3 pieces by Elliot Carter. One, Enchanted Preludes was with flute.
We had a good time with the family: Manny, Sheila, Michele and Steven, Lisa and Eric and Jeremy all came for the recital. We went out for dinner at Lupes, a Mexican place, and Ruggles in Rice Village, both were good and a lot of fun. We had breakfast at House of Pies (a Houston favoritee) and Kenny and Ziggy's ( a New York style deli). We celebrated my birthday at Carrabbas. (Italian) All the restaurants were good. I had a tres leches cake for my birthday, and it was very good. I tried some red velvet cake at Ruggles. It was red and white and very sweet. We all shared one piece, and a few bites was enough for me. It was so rich.
I was pretty tired on Monday when we got home. The traveling was very good both ways, no delays, no crowds. We used Southwest and were very pleased. Both flights were undersold, so we had our choice of seats. It was a good trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home