Friday, February 08, 2008

A Little about Sandy

Sandy is my former work-mate. We taught together at Nichols School for 25 years. She worked in the room below me and before that, in the room next door. We had work in common, and sometimes family things too. Although she was quuite a bit younger than I, we had young families at about the same time. She taught math, I taught social studies to the same students. We had the same problems, the same rants and raves. I didn't see her as much after I retired, but we chatted when I was working part-time at Nichols, and she was one of the mentor teachers last year, so I saw her from time to time.
About two weeks ago, Sandy collapsed at school. Her heart stopped, and it took several tries by the paramedics to get it going again. She is about 12 years younger than I, so this is even more of a shock to me. She always seemed to be in good health, she had a lot of energy and a positive attitude towards life. Now she is in the hospital, unresponsive for the past two weeks.
Every night for the past week, another teacher sendt out updates on Sandy's condition, and there isn't much change. Yesterday, the update said that her family decided to disconect the life support. I guess I always thought that she would eventually recover. She had a vibrant, happy life. She had three sons in high school. She married her high school sweetheart. She appeared to have everything. Now she is unresponsive in the hospital. What more can I say.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. We had a tragedy among our faculty last spring. It still seems impossible. I'm thinking of you.
-Barb

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home