Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Haning around my old school

Today I had to make a visit to my old school,Haven Middle Sch00l, on Greenbay and Lincoln in Evanston. Now this is always an experience for me, since I taught at this school for 6 years, but I also attended it for 7th and 8th grade. Just for the record, none of the teachers who taught me are there anymore. Only 1 or 2 teachers who were there when I taught there are still there. The building looks the same outside, and the inside hasn't changed much either. It looks slightly worn out, but it looked that way in 1958 and in 1970. The kids look similar to the kids of the 1970's, except that their hair is shorter and bell bottom jeans aren't in style anymore. They don't look anything like the kids of the 1950's. Girls wore only skirts then, and nobody wore jeans to school. The school is more diverse today, both students and faculty. The old desks are gone, there have been some remodeling, but it's still my old school. It was easy to find my way around, because the floor plan must be imprinted on my brain. I walked by my kindergarten room, which was my classroom for a year. My other classroom has been turned into something else. I remembered the teachers who once taught in the other rooms. When I went there, the first floor was an elementary school. When I taught there, the middle school had taken over that space. I didn't mention that I also attended kindergarten and part of first grade at the elementary school. Junior High was not a happy time for me, but surprisingly, I did like teaching at Haven. It was a little strange to work with people who once were people who taught me.

Weight Watchers weigh in was Monday. I just got on the scale, but didn't stay for the meeting. I had another meeting at 9:30. I'm sorry that I missed the program topic--keeping the weight off. I did just fine--down .8 pound. My goal gets closer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home