Friday, April 20, 2007

Remember Earth Day?

Earth day used to be a really big deal in the 1970's. I remember going to a big teach-in at Northwestern sometime in the early 70's--maybe even on the first earth day. The one seminar that stayed in my mind over the years was on zero population growth. Unfortunately, the population of of US has grown much faster than that since 1973. I also remember waiting in line to buy gasoline because of shortages, having the gas stations open for only a few hours a day because they didn't have any gas to sell. I remember people being concerned about the gas mil age that their car got. People worried about phosphates in detergent and all kinds of things that people don't really care about anymore.
Now, I'm not going to go as far as to have a worm farm under my sink in order to get recycle kitchen leftovers, but I do a little bit, and could do a lot more.
If you haven't seen "An Inconvenient Truth," plan to see it soon. It amazes me that people are questioning scientific research and equating ideology to scientific research, and that there is "another side" to the global warming issue. .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home